ZEUS was the king of the gods, the god of sky and weather, law, order and fate. He was depicted as a regal man, mature with sturdy figure and dark beard. His usual attributes were a lightning bolt, royal sceptre and eagle.
ome of the more famous myths featuring the god include:--
- His birth and upbringing in the Diktaion cave, where he was nursed by Amaltheia and guarded by the shield-clashing Kouretes;
- The Titan War in which he overthrew the Titanes and imprisoned them in Tartaros;
- His battle with Typhoeus, a hundred headed, monstrous giant who attempted to capture heaven;
- The War of the Giants who attempted to storm Olympos but were slain by Zeus and the gods;
- The Great Deluge in which he flooded the earth to destroy mankind and begin the world anew;
- His conflict with Prometheus over the theft of benefactions for mankind;
- The punishment of Salmoneus, Tantalos and Ixion, men who offended the god with their impiety;
- The birth and life of Herakles, his favoured son, who he had transferred to Olympos at death;
- His extramarital affairs with women such as Leda, seduced in the form of a swan; Europa, as a bull; Danae, as a golden shower; Kallisto, as Artemis; and Antiope as a satyr;
- The Trojan War which he orchestrated from start to end, including the casting of the golden apple of discord.
|Divine Offsprings: (See Zeus' Offsprings)|